MAF and SD (was re: Re: New member intro)

tsakiris at ed8200.ped.pto.ford.com tsakiris at ed8200.ped.pto.ford.com
Tue Jan 10 20:33:40 GMT 1995

>>With regard to speed-density vs. mass air flow, has anyone considered the
>>robustness (not in a control sense) of the two systems to errors such as
>>air leaks and sources of inflow downstream of the throttlebody?  Is a
>>speed-density system more resistant to or accepting of such disturbances?
>>
>>Tony
>>

>   Tony:
>
>    I know this... If you are going to put in an aftermarket cam in an EFI
>engine, you are much more likely to like the results if its a MAF type
>setup. I think thats because the MAF is less sensitive to the vaccum loss
>associated with a "big cam" motor..
>
>                            ----- Lou Faustini

Most definitely.  I'm just thinking of the majority of people who never
modify their engines.  For the minority, Ford Motorsport sells MAF upgrade
kits so that people can experiment with manifolds, heads, and cams more
easily.  (Granted the kits are very expensive.)

I'm curious about all this from a stock production perspective.

Tony