Adaptive algorithms

Matthew Lee Franklin fran0054 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Wed Jan 11 22:56:29 GMT 1995

Robert wrote,

>My own research (PhD) is into very similar systems.  In fact a recent paper I
>preseneted at FISITA 94 in Beijing in October was all about self tuning AFR
>control of a NG engine...

My search of optimization in the literature has been a little weak, so I
was unaware of anything like that done at Ohio or Melbourne.  I'd be
curious to get exact numbers for references on the subject.  Our system
holds fuel injected per cycle constant during an eight revolution dither
cycle.  The MAP is dithered about 1% high for four revs and back for four.
This, while the spark goes through a two rev advanced two rev retarded
repeating cycle. From this we estimate TORQUE fluctuation.  If there
is a torque fluctuation a small correction is made in the direction of the
improvement.  In this way we work toward the most efficient air fuel ratio
and spark timing.  (Remember that if fuel flow is held constant the max
torque equivalence ratio is also the most efficient.)  Corrections are
extermely small because cycle to cycle variation is orders of magnitude
larger than the fluctuation due to our dithering.  On average it works
quite well.  The concept is similar to a lock-in amplifier, if you are
familiar with those.  Future work will involve getting fast response
without wild wander from the noise in our signal.  Also, we would like to
try the system on an engine with single point fuel addition (TBI or
carburetted).
RECENT REFERENCES:
US Patent 5168853
SAE 940546, 940547
ASME ICE-Vol. 22, p73-83, October 1994
(the system is running much better now than in any of those papers)

>I was wondering whether the system was put into a vehicle or even a real
>world stationary application (as our work was)...

And, no, we have not yet put this into a vehicle.  Probable the first
application will be on a stationary cogeneration engine with an electronic
controlled carb hopefully running on land fill gas.

Thanks for your interest.

Later,
Matt