MAT sensor data

John T Stein JSTEIN at dpc2.hdos.hac.com
Mon Jan 23 21:26:11 GMT 1995

Thanks to all who posted responses to my recent query about software
to retreive ECM data.  At $400 I must try to find some "deep
pockets" to split the cost for "Diacom" with.

I am presently "tinkering" with a 2.5 liter four  in a Pontiac Fiero
and am puzzled as to what information the ECM gleans from the air
temperature (MAT) sensor which is mounted in the (heated) intake manifold.  It
seems that if the ECM wanted the temperature of the ambient air the
sensor would be placed in the air filter or other non-heated part of
the intake.  Granted the ambient temperature could be INFERRED from
readings from this sensor,  engine speed, and MAP but that sounds rather 'round
about.  Is this sensor yielding other intelligence??