[EFI68k] new release and group survey

John S Gwynne jsg
Wed Jan 25 03:55:58 GMT 1995

--------

I'm real close to releasing the next version (1.00)
of EFI68k, and would like your feedback to make this
smoother.

First, the highlights of version 1.00. This board
(still 4"x6"--complete except for power supply) has
greatly exceeded my expectations (credit goes to the
FSF and Cygnus for the free software they have
created... I just pulled the pieces together.) I now
have running ANSI C, C++, newlib (ANSI C library),
libg++ (C++ library), and much more... At this point,
I think I can build any software that (1) does not
make UNIX system calls (i.e., fork...)  nor (2)
requires a file system (i.e., fread, fopen...).  This
release of EFI68k has the following major components
(I'll give more details latter) (a) 256k SRAM
(km681000l), (b) 256 EPROM (27C010), (c) DP8570A
(clock/timer/calendar), (d) MAX791 (cpu supervisory
chip with battery backup switch-over and watch dog
timer), and (e) NS16550DN (UART).  Additionally, the
68hc000 cpu is 30% faster now running at 16Mhz and the
following interrupt have been added: UART, TIMER,
Watch Dog, and Low Line voltage (trips at 4.85V;
enough time to save the cpu reg before reset is
asserted on power down).

I'm about ready to start the companion board which
will contain only EFI related components such as an
ADC and, what now looks like, a SSI 67F687.

Anyhow, I would like to know how many of you are
interested in EFI68k as this will dictate the amount
of effort I put into the release. I will definitely
release the schematics (in the same manner as version
0.90), but if you would like my wire-wrap layout, a
point-to-point wire list,etc... say so now. Also,
EFI68k can now be run remotely. If I set up a mail
account where you could mail an ANSI C, C++, and/or
assembly language program to EFI68k to compile and run
then mail you back the results, would this help
determine your interest? Please either mail your
comments directly to me or post them to the list.
*** I REALLY want to know who's interested in EFI68k
before I invest the time in releasing the schematics
and software. ***

                                       John S Gwynne
                                          Gwynne.1 at osu.edu
               T h e   O h i o - S t a t e   U n i v e r s i t y
    ElectroScience Laboratory, 1320 Kinnear Road, Columbus, Ohio 43212, USA
                Telephone: (614) 292-7981 * Fax: (614) 292-7292