68000-vs-68332 (long) was Re: [EFI68k] new release and group survey

Brian Lane blane at nyx10.cs.du.edu
Thu Jan 26 20:31:05 GMT 1995

On Thu, 26 Jan 1995, Bohdan L Bodnar wrote:

> Perhaps you should inquire as to why Motorola can't deliver.  Are there
> manufacturing problems?  Did some big buyer put in a huge order?  Are there
> shortages of some crucial component such as ultra-pure silicon dies?  Several

  A 'rumor' that I have hard is Motorola's internal divisions get
precedence over everyone else(why shouldn't they?), and with the
explosion in cell-phones, etc. that Motorola actually manufactures they
are using up alot of their own parts.

  We've had problems with long lead-times on C8's and HC11s. I don't know
how much this effects 68k processors.

    Brian

P.S. I like the idea of a 68k based  Engine control computer doing
ignition(distributorless) and fuel injection. As long as it can handle 8
cylinders at WOT. I have a S-10 that is on it's last leg. When the 2.5
liter goes it's going to become a test bed for my own EFI experiments.