Oxygen sensor reliable?

Graydon D. Stuckey graydon at apollo.gmi.edu
Fri Jul 14 16:26:51 GMT 1995

All,

	As many of already know, the O2 sensor is only accurate at stoich
and becomes very inaccurate above and below stoich.

	HOWEVER,

	It has been my experience on a real live dyno, with real live
engines running, that max torque came at (for example, the VW 2.0)
.8volts.  When I reduce the mixture to .7 volts, the torque dropped a
little, and when I increased the mix to .9 volts, the torque dropped.
This would seem to indicate that the O2 sensor really is useful at richer
mixtures than stoich.  I found the same thing with every engine that I
had on a Dyno.  The engines that I have tuned by the seat-of-the-pants on
the road, I thought I detected the same thing, but that is much more
subjective.

	Just my .02 worth.  I will usually trust the O2 sensor.

Later,
Graydon D. Stuckey
graydon at apollo.gmi.edu
'86 Audi 5000 CS Turbo Quattro, GDS Racing Stage 1
'83 Mazda RX7 w/13B, GDS Racing Stage 58474