Batched Injection / Injector Timing

Martin Evans 100341.377 at compuserve.com
Tue Jul 18 16:15:09 GMT 1995

Batched Injection:
Apart from the fact that a saving is made by using half the
required number of injector drivers what advantage does
batched injection offer?

During dynamic load changes if you fire pairs of injectors do
the optimum fuelling requirements of the engine lag behind
those that can be generated by the ECU leading to poorer
emissions and possibly reduced power output?

Injector Timing:
On the subject of injector timing my understanding is that
if you inject onto a closed inlet valve the flow will be more
predictable than when injecting during the actual induction
stroke as the pressure differential across the injector is
static. If you take this into consideration when mapping
the engine in then is it not best from both emissions and
indirectly the power point of view to inject right up to the
point just before the inlet valve closes?
If you take this event as a permanent set end point and
build your fuelling up before this event then you have
the maximum time available for fuelling combined with
the optimum for the emissions case.
All the commercial systems i've seen seem to work in
reverse and fuel from around the ignition event of the
previous stroke. I think the motive for this comes from
the case where if load rapidly changes during the time
between ignition events then this can be accomodated
by extending the injector on time whereas with the
fuelling built from the inlet valve closure there may be
underfuelling until the next injection event.

Timing Discs:
I've heard the 58X timing disc mentioned here previously
does this consist of 36 teeth with 2 missing at 180 degree
seperation to give 58 transitions per revolution?

Martin Evans
100341.377 at compuserve.com