high altitude

Jens Knickmeyer knick at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
Thu Jul 20 12:59:53 GMT 1995

<Mattias Nyberg> wrote:

> I've heard that the engine control system compensates the
> the amount of fuel at high altitudes because the air density
> is lower. If this function is not
> implemented, the result will be a rich mixture. I don't
> understand why this compensation is needed.
>
> In a speed density system, the air mass flow is
> calculated:
>
>    ma = da * rpm/60 * Vd * nvol
>
> where
>    ma = air mass flow rate
>    da = air density
>    Vd = displaced volume
>    nvol = volumetric efficiency
>
> The air density (da) can be calculated from the gas law:
>
>    da = p/(RT)
>
> where pressure (p) and temperature (T) of the inlet air is
> measured so the density should be known.
>
> So the question is, why do we need to compensate for high
> altitudes and how is it done?
> (The same question arises in a system which measures the
> air mass flow.)
>
> Mattias Nyberg
>
> matny at isy.liu.se

As far as I understand, air _mass_ flow compensates high altitudes
(and therefore different air mass) in the way you describe. A
correction has to be made for the air flow sensors (like on the
Bosch K-jetronic). These sensors measure only the flow, whereas
the newer sensors (with hot wire or hot film) measure air mass.

Feel free to correct,

Jens.
           Jens Knickmeyer
Technische Universitaet Braunschweig