Motec

Craig Pugsley c.pugsley at trl.oz.au
Fri Jul 21 01:02:50 GMT 1995

> The MoTec engine management system is an aftermarket ECU similar to the
> TEC-II or Accel DFI. It seems to be the only aftermarket system to use a
> 32-bit processor (TEC-II = 8-bit, DFI = 16-bit) and have nice GUI
> software. The makers claim it allows for traction-control, gear-change
> sensors, fuel-used meters, individual cylinder fuel and ignition tables,
> true-sequential firing of injectors, nitrous enrichment and retard,
> distributorless ignition, multiple rev-limiters, closed-loop control,
> data-logging, and oh yah, telemetry. I've never played with one myself,
> though it seems to be the hot ticket in the LA scene. They start at $2k.

Yep, all that stuff is on the brochure. The MoTeCs are used on 'GroupA'
race cars here (Which is basically V8 powered family sedan race cars
around the 5-600 hp range). Based on the picture of the controller on
their brochure, I'd speculate that they are using one of those 32bit
motorola chips and a 67F687. As a side note, they sell 'upgrades' to
their systems to convert from simultaneous to full sequential, upgrade
the number of data points in the fuel maps etc, that are ALREADY in the
system. The features get enabled by paying your money and you get back
an enable code to turn on the function.. Pretty tricky eh!

While their systems are very nice, you do pay for the privilege (ie the
top of the line controller is around $2500US. Still, if you've got a
$50k engine it's worth it.)

Cheers,
Craig.