GM C3 qns..

John T Stein JSTEIN at dpc2.hdos.hac.com
Tue Jul 25 20:40:58 GMT 1995

> Date:          Tue, 25 Jul 1995 09:57:38 +1000 (EST)
> From:          Craig Pugsley <c.pugsley at trl.oz.au>
> Subject:       GM C3 qns..
> To:            diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu

> Also, should the 'check engine' light flash fault codes at engine startup
> or only when you bridge the ALDL connector? (This is my main question
> actually)
>
> Cheers,
> Craig.

Craig,

The "check engine" lamp only flashes codes when you have bridged the
ALDL connector with the engine not running.  Bridging the ALDL when
the engine is running will cause the ECM to enter what GM refers to
as "field service" mode in which the lamp flashes rapidly (about
twice/second) when the ECM is operating open-loop, and about once per
second when in closed loop.  In field service mode the lamp duty
cycle gives SOME indication of fuel mixture, with the lamp spending more
time "on" as the mixture gets richer.

John