your mail

Frank Deutschmann fhd at interport.net
Wed Jul 26 14:06:52 GMT 1995

robert dingli sez:
> Jeff, to maximise the responiveness of the complete system, you would be better
> off placing the throttle bodies as close to the inlet ports as possible.  If
> possible, a separate butterfly for each runner would be best. The dynamics of
> the inlet system are significantly faster than the reponse time of the MAF
> sensor during quick throttle changes and thus there would be little gain in
> placing it further downstream.  Ideally, the plenumn would have as small
> a volume as possible without restricting the gas flow, if response was all that
> you were worried about.  A MAP or TPS based speed/density system would respond
> as fast as you desire.

OK, I had always thought this too, but why don't we see this in practice,
especially on the Sports Prototypes (GTP) or F1 cars?  True, we see individual
butterflies, but I have never seen multiple MAF sensors placed near the ports.
And the plenum's always seem rather huge to me.  Any thoughts?

-frank
--
fhd at interport.net | The will to win means nothing without the will to *prepare* to win.
  1 212 559 5534  | 	-- Bobby Knight (of Indiana basketball fame)