NGK UEGO sensors

Jonathan R. Lusky lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
Thu Mar 2 02:55:27 GMT 1995

robert dingli writes:

> I colleague of mine tested the viability of using individual NGK sensors
> in each of eight exhaust runners in a 5 litre Group A Commodore.  As part
> of an initial test, he placed all eight sensors at the same point in an
> exhaust stream only to find that they each required individual calibration
> as a function of temperature (I'm not sure of the specific problem here).
> Anyway, he later settled on using one sensor with individual exhaust
> tappings from each of the runners.  His concern was balancing the eight
> cylinders and thus only the relative AFR was important.

Ahhh, I forgot about that one.  Each sensor is significantly different
from any other given NGK sensor.  You have to calibrate your test
equipment to a given sensor...  8 sensors = 8 seperate calibrations.
I talked to someone at Ford who has a big box he throws in the back seat
that serves as an interface/calibration between the 4/6/8 sensors and
his A/D stuff.

Jonathan R. Lusky                        lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
http://www.mtsu.edu/~lusky/                 (615) 726-8700