Aftermarket EFI, speed density etc.

Andrew Dennison ADEN at mechman.mm.swin.edu.au
Fri Mar 3 03:30:36 GMT 1995

Peter Wales wrote:

> The user *will* require a constant air fuel ratio! Stoichiometric to be
> exact. This allows the catalytic converters to work correctly by providing a
> uniform gas mixture in the exhaust.

You are assuming that everyone HAS to run at catalytic converter.
This is not true.

> Again Robert is getting mixed up. The reason racers use throttle angle and
> engine speed is that it is very easy to set that up on a  dyno and then know
> which row and column in the map to change.

Engines with large valve overlap and / or individual throttle
butterflys have very low average MAP values (ie very little
depression below ambient).  They exhibit spikes in the MAP for the
induction events:  I believe you may be able to use the peak value
of the MAP signal but throttle position is generally used.

Andrew

Andrew Dennison - Research Associate
The CIM Centre
Melbourne, AUSTRALIA