Knock sensor control (and other uses for ionization gaps)

Matthew Lee Franklin fran0054 at gold.tc.umn.edu
Fri Mar 10 04:45:16 GMT 1995

>This ion gap sensing sounds pretty good. My question is whether the current
>change due to gap erosion is corrected for. Seems that after a few thousand
>miles the sensor would start reading less ionization due to the rounding off of
>the center electrode.
>
>Millam E. Tackitt

Good thought, but maybe the thing to look for is a signature or shape of a
type of event such as a misfire or knock rather than the absolute current
level.  Granted, the absolute level really does matter, but within wear
limits maybe you'd find an OK compromise.

I suppose other things might affect the absolute level also, such as fuel
composition (ethanol, MTBE, or more minute additives).

Later,
Matt