Lambda & Lead

Wouter de Waal wrm at aztec.co.za
Fri Mar 17 07:10:41 GMT 1995

On Fri, 17 Mar 1995, Steve Baldwin wrote:

> Leaded fuel is still alive and well in New Zealand and a lambda sensor
> seems to me to be a fairly high priority in an EFI system that is to be
> developed and tuned mostly without a dyno.
> This may be an arguable point, so lets just say that I 'want' to run
> leaded fuel and I would 'like' a lambda sensor.

Here in South Africa we have leaded fuel also. Planning to move to
unleaded soon. Anyway, my wife's Fiat Uno has Bosch Mono-jetronic, where
a single injector is located in the throttle body. The system also
contains a lamdba sensor. Every 20000 km they (the guys servicing the
car) take out the sensor and clean it with a wire brush. Or so they say.
I have been having cold start problems with the car lately (88000 km) but
I doubt whether that would be related to a faulty lambda sensor.

Anyway, it seems that either the sensor works fine with leaded, or that
the FI system works fine with a gummed up sensor :-)

Wouter