ALDL

Rod Barman rodb at cs.ubc.ca
Tue Mar 21 18:00:45 GMT 1995

Hi All,

I've collected everything I've found on ALDL from usenet over the years
and I've tacked it onto the bottom of this message.  While the
low-level hardware communication protocol is fairly standard, it
appears that the data sent varies from car to car.  One can probably
reverse engineer the data stream for any particular vehicle with a bit
of time and disassembly.   The basic packet format has been figured out
(see below) so it would be a matter of fiddling with a sensor and
watching to see which field changes.  I would have done this by now but I only
own crappy German cars :-)  --rod.

ps.  This would be a good FAQ if someone was interested in the subject.