Ignition coil energizing time

Peter Wales pjwales at magicnet.magicnet.net
Tue Mar 28 13:50:56 GMT 1995

You wrote:-
>Ed has a lot of wisdom to offer and apparently the spare time to write well-
>reasoned summaries which I find to make good engineering sense.  As an ME
>I'm not offended by what he says, and my feeble EE background is also
>satisfied.
>
>I am also growing to appreciate *your* brand of experimental experience.
>But I also need solid theory, so lighten up.  Both experimentalism and
>solid theory are necessary to any successful project.

I dont dispute Ed's wisdom! He may be a very clever person for all I know,
but when I last answered a question concerning injector dynamics, I got a
long discourse on some obscure Japanese paper about how injectors work in
the non linear region. Then I got 18 individuals mailing me agreeing with me
that you shouldn't work in the non linear region. When I asked why they were
mailing me directly instead of to the group, the answer was they didn't want
to get flamed ands were quite happy to sit on the sidelines and watch,
contributing nothing. That's not good news.

Then we get this long discourse with Ed telling us all who is right and who
is wrong, and at the end of it a definition of saturation. There was no
contribution to the topic, just a "ok I've listened to you all and I've
decided who is right and who is wrong". When I can make a contribution I do.
When I can't I keep quiet. Someone telling us we are right and we are wrong
is not what is needed to encourage the free expression of ideas needed.

There may have been other ideas spinning off the original question, but Ed'd
final summary has killed of the discussion. For example the question of the
voltage across the transistor in saturation has been raised and trying to
explain my theory to others has aroused my curiosity in whether the voltage
will appear across the Collector Emitter junction, only when the coil is
saturated. I expect that thread will now die and I'll never find out :(

Finally, as far as lightening up is concerned, I dont think I need to
lighten up, I'm happy to listen to anyone with something to contribute. I
just don't like anyone giving me marks out of 10 and a E for effort.

Finally, two people commented on my posting. Ed and you. Maybe I'm not wrong.

Peter