ECU CPU survey

Jens Knickmeyer knick at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
Tue Mar 28 15:14:06 GMT 1995

> Does anyone have a good idea of what CPUs are being used by the various
> auto companies?
>
> .../Bill
>
> --
> Bill Lewis - wrl at access.digex.net

The only auto company I can talk about is VW. They use a 68HC11A0 in
their Digijet (inj) and Digifant (inj+ign) systems. Earlier Digifants
had a 8051 (not sure, but it was some kind of Intel (sorry for such
hard words) MCU together with a 6805.

Now a few questions from me:

I have a VW Polo-G40 (1.3l 4cyl, VW G-compressor, 83kW) which uses
the Digifant which is a Digijet with ignition system included
(the Digijet is also known as Bosch L2-jetronic). Because of the
compressor, the Digifant in my car uses MAP, other cars as the Passat
use MAF.
There is a serial bus implemented for communication with other units
as Digifiz and for diagnostics. This bus is called ABUS, can speed up
to 500kbit/s and has multimaster support.

1. Where does the Digifant store the diagnostic information, in RAM
   or in EEPROM?

2. How can I tell the ECU to send diag info, which means: What is
   the address of the Digifant, and what is the appropriate command
   to read diag info? Who knows other codes, e.g. for disabling one
   cyl, reset diag memory, ...?

3. What fields are stored, and at which address can I find them?

4. What companies offer tuning kits for the Polo-G40? There must
   be such kits since the car is used in motorsports (esp. in D,
   GB, NL?).

Think this should do it for now.

Bis bald,

Jens.