Changing injector pulse rate at idle?

John T Stein JSTEIN at dpc2.hdos.hac.com
Tue Mar 28 18:31:25 GMT 1995

Having lurked around this list for a while I realize that conventional wisdom
considers 1 to 1.5 milliseconds to be the minimum reasonable drive
pulse width for injectors, and that this figure establishes the lower
limit of the injector's dynamic range.

As part of  an effort to explain the ratty idle of my 2.5 liter TBI GM
four, I looked at the injector drive waveform at idle and found it to be
about 1.2 milliseconds in width, uncomfortably close to the minimum
width for predictable operation but not surprising in light of the
very light load at idle.

The disquieting aspect of the drive pulse was that while its duration
was constant, the period was varying between about a value of
about 40 milliseconds to one of about 45 milliseconds. Idle spped was
esentially constant.

Is this a commonly-used technique to achieve an EFFECTIVE pulse
width of less than 1 millisecond??  Is something more involved going on here??
Anyone have any similar findings (or opinions)??

John