MAP map or MAF map

Zublin, Bryan (SD-MS) BZUBLIN at po2.gi.com
Sat May 6 01:12:40 GMT 1995

Charles,
I believe that a MAF based system would be easier to calibrate compared to a
speed density design (I have never confirmed this).  If you have the
calibration curve of the MAF meter (volts output vs. kg/hr mass flow) and
the flow rate of the injectors (cc/min), then it should be a relatively
simply process to determine the injector pulse width based on the air-fuel
ratio that you want.  I would be willing to bet that this first order
approximation will be good enough to get the engine to run fairly well.  Of
course, second order enrichment factors will have to be applied for startup,
idle, acceleration, etc.

I have measured the steady state average flow rate of the injectors that I
have.  This is fairly easy.  Does anyone on the list have calibration curves
for the MAF meters used on the Ford vehicles (specifically the one used on
the 5.0 L Mustang, made by Hitachi)?

Bryan Zublin
General Instrument, San Diego, CA, USA
bzublin at po2.gi.com