Northstar coolant loss

Jack Mott jmott at borah.ebr.anlw.anl.gov
Wed May 17 03:27:46 GMT 1995

A fairly remarkable comment was made that the Northstar V8 (and I assume
the derivative Oldsmobile Aurora V8) could run in a mode without coolant,
pumping air and normally combusting alternately on two cylinder banks.  I
assume that this is some sort of failure mode that allows the owner to
make his way to a service station.  Is this correct?  Could anyone from GM
(Ed or Andrew) elaborate?

This would seem to be a noteworthy development in engine science and
speaks well of GM engineering (often unfairly criticized by import car
owners).  Getting off subject here a little bit, it is known that car
transport ships often return to Japan empty.  I have always wanted to have
snotty-nosed Accord and Camry owners placed on these ships for the return
voyage.  The trade deficit would be quickly solved, and, more importantly,
the US would relieve itself of its most noxious citizens.

Please reply only to the first paragraph.

Charles Mott