Processing Power

Jens Knickmeyer knick at ibr.cs.tu-bs.de
Fri May 19 14:24:14 GMT 1995

<Peter Wales> wrote:

> >> Well, They won't be using CAN... they'll be using J-1850.  EPA requires all
> >> cars manufactured in the US after 1996 to use the J-1850 protocol.
> >
> Forgive my ignorance, whats CAN and J-1850 protocol for?
> Peter Wales
> Superchips Inc                          "Timing is everything"

Peter,

CAN is the Controller Area Network. It was developped by Bosch for use
in automobiles but is nowadays (at least here in Germany) often used
as an easy to use local bus system. I do not know all the facts/data
about CAN, just a few: two-wire, multimaster, simple to deal with.
For more information, there is a WWW-Page about the CAN:
http://www.docs.uu.se/~ken/CAN.html
I tried it a few month ago, so I cannot say if its still available.

Jens.

           Jens Knickmeyer
Technische Universitaet Braunschweig
         Mikroporzessorlabor