HP formulas?

Steve Ciciora scicior at cp.mnet.uswest.com
Mon Nov 20 14:52:11 GMT 1995

> From owner-diy_efi-outgoing at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu Sat Nov 18 09:00 MST 1995
> From: FIScot at aol.com
> Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 09:20:08 -0500
> To: diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Re: HP formulas?
>
>     Subj:   Re: HP formulas?
>     Date:   95-11-17 19:35:20 EST
>     From:   scicior at cp.mnet.uswest.com (Steve Ciciora)
>
>   > John DeAmond (sp?) when he ran the hotrod mailing list had a spread
>   > sheet program to do this.  He got his formulas form David Vizzard's
>   > (sp?) 'Optimizing your ignition' book.  While John didn't have anything
>   > good to say about Dr.  Vizzard's products, he did give lots of advice
>   > on the net that sounded like he got the info from this book.  Never
>   > gave credit for it though...  :->.
>   > I also got a program from J.C.  Witnies (sp again, hey, I'm an
>   > engineer) that does this.  You enter pairs of numbers like:
>
>     Hey Steve, ignoring the spelling, you may be a fine engineer,
>     but you have a number of facts wrong here... ;-)   David Vizard has
>     authored many good books, and I recommend them highly.  None of his
>     books have Ph.D. after his name though... You are thinking of
>     "Christopher A. Jacobs, Ph.D.,E.E."  who wrote 'The Doctor's Guide to
>     Optimizing Your Ignition'.
>
>     From one of David's books:
>
>     "Author David Vizard is an experienced engine-builder, road race and
>     drag-race engine tuner, and engineer, ......".  And Harvey Crane, Jr.
>     has a glowing foreward in one of David's books that is worth reading.
>                             Vizard and Jacobs are two very different people.
>
>     You may not have agreed with John DeArmond or his politics, but you
>     gotta' admit he almost always knew what he was talking about.  I just
>     wish that 'Perfomance Engineering' would have made it.
>
>     Scot Sealander   FIScot at aol.com

Yup, I was wrong.  It was Jacobs.  He and Vizard _are_ very different people.
And I, too, greatly miss Performance Engineering.  John certanly has had many
very interesting stories over the years.  Considering how hard it is for me to
do something, I have to wonder how much his stories might be exaggerated (don't
get me wrong; if the stories came from anyone else, I wouldn't believe them
at all, I do believe John, though).  I've seen john on several news groups
from sci.electronics, rec.autos.tech, and fun groups as alt.pyrotechnics.  I've
even heard him in Denver on a talk show!  He really gets around...
But, if I remember correctly (and it dosn't seem like I always do :-)), John
didn't have much at all good to say about Jacobs or his products, but some
of the things he gave out as advice seem to have come directly from Jacob's
book.  I personally enjoyed most if not all John wrote and what Jacobs wrote.
-Steven Ciciora
(I've _Got_ to learn to keep my mouth shut untill I verify the facts!)