Re(2): Q: dual ended ignition coil

Steven Buchholz steveb at newkla.kla.com
Thu Nov 23 00:25:43 GMT 1995

> use a standard coil and make a Y splitter using some some glass epoxy
> board and some sutible studs and  insulate the thing with silicon
> rubber    all the dual coil is in my estimation is an standard hei coil
> with two outputs in parellel    " there's a schematic in my buicks
> chilton"

... apologies if I am misunderstanding something, but the suggested solu-
tion does not solve the problem as elegantly as the ungrounded coil.  With
the dual wire coil the spark plugs are in series, meaning that both must
fire.  Using a Y approach places the plugs in parallel, which does not
guarantee that both fire.  You might be able to work something by isolating
the ground on a standard coil, but having the case of the coil at some
potential other than ground would probably lead to a lot of EMI problems ...

Steve Buchholz
s_buchho at kla.com
San Jose, CA (USA)