Q: dual ended ignition coil

Donald Whisnant dewhisna at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 23 02:51:32 GMT 1995

At 01:09 PM 11/22/95 CST, you wrote:
>Does anyone know of a source of DUAL ended ignition coils?
>Production application?  Looks like a coil with TWO HT
>leads from it, my 1958 Honda 305 Dream was so fitted so
>it is not a new idea, either.
>
>Also, in case there are any 4 cylinder DATSUN fans on the
>list, my target is a L16/L20B engines. Just curious if
>anyone else maybe building for this engine.
>
>Long weekend ahead... time to get busy in the garage. ;-)

Any good junk yard should have at least one 3800 engine with a bank of Dual
ended coils.  ... I've noticed that some have stated that it is just two
paralleled coils, but I think there is a little more to it than that --- my
understanding is that the inductive spark is fired in one direction through
one coil and the other direction through the other coil -- ie with the
opposing cylinder firing in the wrong direction simultaneous to the cylinder
firing in the correct direction .... however, two parallel coils would
work -- but if it were just "parallel coils", why wouldn't they just use
two coils to start with?  ...

Those from a 3800 should have enough spark, but I'm not so sure either about
those from motorcycles (that some have mentioned) having enough "zap" for this
application...

Donald