DIY_EFI abilities and older engines

Donald Whisnant dewhisna at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 23 05:09:27 GMT 1995

At 06:12 PM 11/22/95 -0500, you wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Nov 1995, Daniel R Burk wrote:
>
>> I've joined this mailing list for this very reason.

That makes three of us...

>    I'm in the same boat as you... I've gone so far as to decide just to
>start out with a GM computer, get THAT running, THEN try to roll my own
>after getting the feel of how everything works.   I also figure that I
>could carry the GM ECU as a spare in case my homebrew craps out in the
>middle of nowhere.  8^)

I'm in the process of putting a '93 4.3L Chevy V6 into an '85 Grand Prix
as well as the 4L60-E electronic transmission.  The 4.3L has the vortec
intake -- i.e. the tuned split plenum intake with central multiport
fuel injection...  I plan to (at all costs) get this engine cranked up for
the first time this weekend [thanks to long weekend] and running under the
GM PCM ...  Later I plan to replace the GM unit with my own cpu system and
gradually add DIS and maybe even replace the single injector and poppet valves
with multi-injectors and make a sequential system out of it...  ...  This
'85 Grand Prix has become my "play" car, since I've bought a '95 Formula
Firebird.

>    As sort of a "beginner project", I'd like to build a ignition
>advance computer, using one of the 80's electronic distrutors as a
>starting point.   I'll do DIS later....  (see questions in next mail)

I think we'll probably be asking each other questions on the DIS system. :)

>> By the way, I've picked out my test mule: a 1970 Oldsmobile 442 with a 455CID
>> W30 spec engine and a muncie 4 speed.  It's in a barn behind twenty boats and
>> hasn't seen but ten miles per year of driving since 1985.  I'm hoping to
>
>    Nice pick, my guinea pig is a '71 Cutlass with a soon to be rebuilt 350.
>I'm planning on backing it up with a 700-4R.   My intake problems are
>partly solved already for port injection - I've got several of the intake
>off the early 80's injected Olds 350's, fuel rails, injectors and
>throttle body already mounted!
>
>    You MIGHT be able to mount one of these on your 455 if you fabricate
>a adaptor to match up the ports.   I figure that if this setup works
>well and the intake doesn't flow well enough, THEN I'll modify a
>aftermarket manifold for my needs.
>
>> Any suggestions on a good EFI computer that's rather inexpensive
>> but easy to use?  I need something to prove out my hardware.
>
>    Al Lipper (ALIPPER at aol.com) has a EFI system that drops into a PC.
>Plans and notes are on the DIY_EFI homepage.  Nice work, I'm considering
>building it when I get some time.
>    My own idea was to use a PC, but just have a box on the outside to
>multiplex all the signals over a serial or parallel port.

Have you guys checked out the little single board computer systems out there,
like the PC-104 compatible stuff?  There are a lot of good, even PC compatible
processors out there complete with I/O ports and serial/parallel ports...  All
you do is wire it up and do a little programming.  A lot of the boards using
68HC11 processors are around $150 .. of course the 68HC11 isn't PC compatible.
I'm playing with one right now from Mesa Electronics that uses a Nec V40
processor that is PC compatible --- I've even got a floppy drive on it.  You
can do assembly or a high level language (or mix) [you're choice] right on
your home pc, copy it to a floppy, and run it on the other system. ...
I plan to eventually mount an LCD display on the back of the sun visor and
build a console (once I install bucket seats) and have the keyboard and most
of the computer stuff housed in it.

So Bob (and you too Dan), keep us all posted on how yours is going...

Donald
dewhisna at ix.netcom.com