Q: dual ended ignition coil

Henry David Sommer gt0035b at prism.gatech.edu
Fri Nov 24 05:08:42 GMT 1995

Zublin, Bryan wrote

> I have always wondered if the dual ended coils used on the motorcycles could
> be used on a larger displacement engine, with a typical high energy
> capacitive discharge system (like an MSD 6A).  Has anyone tried this?  Can
> these "smaller" coils handle the energy discharge?

	I'm just an ME but why wouldn't they?  As far as I can tell if it
ignites the gas a spark is a spark.  Why would a car need a bigger one
than a bike?  If you only have one coil the car would probably feed more
cylinders with it. However, the bike can turn twice the RPM so the loads
would be the same.

Henry Sommer | gt0035b at prism.gatech.edu | Georgia Institute of Technology
Year  88 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | ME and MATE | FSAE since 92
car # 66 | 23 | 23 | 42 | 42 | 99 | 99 | 55 | Maintainer of FSAE mailing list
place 11 |  2 |  6 | 23 |  3 |  6 | 11 | ?  | FSAE-request at list.gatech.edu