Q: dual ended ignition coil

Daniel R Burk ws6transam at voyager.net
Fri Nov 24 22:50:07 GMT 1995

Henry wrote:

>	I'm just an ME but why wouldn't they?  As far as I can tell if it
>ignites the gas a spark is a spark.  Why would a car need a bigger one
>than a bike?  If you only have one coil the car would probably feed more
>cylinders with it. However, the bike can turn twice the RPM so the loads
>would be the same.
>
>Henry Sommer | gt0035b at prism.gatech.edu | Georgia Institute of Technology
>Year  88 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | ME and MATE | FSAE since 92
>car # 66 | 23 | 23 | 42 | 42 | 99 | 99 | 55 | Maintainer of FSAE mailing list
>place 11 |  2 |  6 | 23 |  3 |  6 | 11 | ?  | FSAE-request at list.gatech.edu

Henry: I think it might have to do with the physical size of the plug and
combustion chamber.  In addition, the length of the ignition wire and its
corresponding resistance might play a role as well.

--Dan, formerly of MSU FSAE.

---BTW, you guys going to run the same F1 engine this year?
  (reply in private to: ws6transam at vixa.voyager.bet)