emmissions? me worry?

mwc at lubrizol.com mwc at lubrizol.com
Thu Nov 30 20:53:25 GMT 1995

Can anyone point me to some good introductory references
on:

* automotive emmissions - byproducts of combustion
* emmissions equipment
* emmissions laws / requirements

I'm concerned about the tightening of emmissions laws.  I bought
a 1984 Porsche 928S without having it carefully examined.  Now
that I'm rebuilding the top end, it's being carefully examined!!

I've discovered that a previous owner had the heads shaved,
headers installed in place of a manifold, some mild porting, and
a trick cam installed.  Also the air pump was removed and I may
have toasted the catalytic converter before I realized my head
gasket was leaking!  It's an L-Jetronic that may have been running
rich; when I got the top apart there were carbon deposits on the
piston faces  (it has 62k mi)...

So, when I get it back together I want to beat a Ohio EPA aim
test if I have to.

Comments, and donations, welcome!

Matt Carpenter
E-mail: mwc at lubrizol.com