Propane Motor Fuel Injection

dn dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Thu Nov 30 23:50:05 GMT 1995

In answer to Mr Lusky...

> > 1. cheap - at least here in Canada, less than half the cost of gasoline
>
> per gallon yes, per mile, not quite.  I don't remember the exact number,
> but the energy content of propane is significantly lower than gasoline.

My experience is that I lost about 15% fuel economy over gasoline, still
a significant savings...

> > 2. high octane rating - upwards of 125 combined octane rating - this allows
> >    high compression engines with all their advantages.
>
> I think you are getting propane confused with CNG here.  Propane is down
> around 110 octane.

I stand corrected.

> > 4. clean - both from an emissions standpoint and from engine internals, there
> >    is much less carbon buildup with propane.
>
> With respect to emissions, not really.  Gasoline 3-way catalysts don't

I was really talking more about carbureted gasoline engines, not the latest
EFI systems.  My chevy 350 has lower emissions than a standard carbureted
gasoline engine with EGR and catcon, even without a catcon.  Most of Canada
and some states have relaxed emissions regulations for propane powered vehicles
since they inherently produce lower emissions.  We have a propane forklift in
the shop, and I assure you that I would much rather have it than a gas powered
one!

> > 5. fuel mixture - again since propane is a gas, there are no problems with
> >    improper fuel distribution and fuel puddling in the manifold, nor
>
> Well, thats true about vaporization in the intake, but fuel distribution
> with gaseuos fuels is actually more of a problem that with liquid fuels.

I'm not sure if I agree with this one, either.  Given that the delivery system
is identical for both cases, you should get better mixture distribution with
the gaseous fuel, assuming the mixer is doing it's job properly.  In any case,
fuel injection would eliminate this problem entirely.

> advanced much in the past 20 years.  On, the other hand, if you know
> what you are doing, you can get really spectacular mixture control
> (open loop no less) out of some of those mixers...  with an OHG X450
> (think that was the model #), i was able to get my fuel mixture
> absolutely perfect across the board, and even got it to do deceleration
> enleanment!  (spent a good bit of time machining the fuel valves).

I'd definitely like to know more about this.  I in fact, do have an OHG
X450, but I got disgusted with it after dinking around with various
combinations of the available fuel metering rods.  At the time, I couldn't
see spending loads of time and money trimming a thou at a time off the metering
rods, but if you can share some of the tech secrets with me (such as where
and how much to shave off), I'd be willing to resurrect the thing...

> I believe BKM makes injectors (designed for CNG) that will handle 150psi
> EFI kits for propane.  You might see if Stewart-Stevenson has one...

Do you have addresses and numbers for these guys?

> EFI would definately be cool, but I think you could get nearly the same
> results with an OHG mixer (what are you running now, Impco?).  But for
> ignition, computer control based on RPM, MAP, and coolant temp is the
> ONLY way to go :).

I am currently running a Century model 100 mixer which has the same basic
problems, but it has only a single metering plug.  I did get much better
fuel economy with it though, so it's still on the vehicle.

Regards, dn

--
\/ Darrell A. Norquay                   Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca      /\