Ignition Book

Jonathan R. Lusky lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
Mon Oct 2 03:32:43 GMT 1995

Bruce Bowling writes:
> People I have talked to in the past has also seen the flaky response
> around the save battery voltage.  What I have also been told is that
> MSD boxes usually don't just "die" - they act screwy instead, like
> mis-firing, etc.

The only time its ever been a problem for me was on a Formula-SAE
engine, with way too little battery and a current hungry injection
pump.  COuldn't even jumpstart the car when the battery got low...

> The ONLY plus I give to Jacobs box is a toggle switch (3 position)
> which can switch you back to normal un-mod mode.  The third position
> kills the ignition.  Jocobs could do this because the stock ignition
> amplifier is retained, the Jacobs box is inserted between the
> amplifier and the coil.  MSD takes over the job of the ignition
> amp by hooking directly to the reluctor pickup, so this is harder
> with MSD.

You can trigger the MSD off the stock amplifier..  this is how you have
to do it with a late model computer controlled HEI and the like.  I'd
imagine you could do the same type of switch with an MSD when triggering
with this method, if you can find a suitable switch.

Jonathan R. Lusky                        lusky at knuth.mtsu.edu
http://www.edge.net/~lusky/                 (615) 726-8700