Ignition Book

William Turner wturner at acorn.co.uk
Tue Oct 3 15:20:07 GMT 1995

> ~ the multiple spark is also mostly marketing jazz -- someone on the net
> ~ reverse-engineered the msd box and discovered that the sparks count
> ~ down as rpm increases, until it's down to just one spark above ~3500rpm.
> ~
> But the average RPM range of the average highway vehicle falls well
> below 3500 RPM, so there is benefit.

Excuse my ignorance, but do 'Splitfire' sparkplugs fall under the
heading of being multiple-spark devices? Do they spark twice at the same
time, or sequentially (as MSD systems appear to do). And do they
actually have any benefit? (obviously, racing rpm's are going to be
well in excess of 3500, but I assume multiple-sparks enhance fuel
economy at the lower RPMs).

William