Reply to Cilff Ducharme [not private]

john carroll jac at wave.sheridan.wy.us
Thu Oct 5 02:17:57 GMT 1995

Cliff Ducharme and any one else

Cliff, I could not seem to make your Email address work and am replying
here.

I have built a number of sucessful aircraft ignition systems and am about
to build an injection system.  Aircraft  concerns and needs are so
different from the others on DIY_EFI that it is a different world.  It is
reassuring to see that someone else is concerned with aircraft engines.

The system is base on GM DIS hardware (distrbutorless ignition
system).  I figure that if GM will build a base and coil system that works
and controls so nicely that there is little reason to reinvent that part of the
system.  The GM hardware uses a bunch of power, but works down to 9V
or less.  This allows the cars to start on cold mornings when the system
voltage is pulled down from heavy cranking.

My controller based on Signetics' 8X550 processor.  This 8031
derivitive is plenty fast and has sufficient AD input to process every input
I care about.  I use a Harris automotive part in the controller to watch for
pre igniton and dentonation.

The the system uses a timing disk mounted behind the prop for timing.  I
keep one magneto functional for a backup.  At present spark timing is a
calculated function of  MAP and RPM.  There is no mapping and the
calculations can be modified easily.  The timing is dropped back if
preignition is sensed and all advance drops out if the engine over revs.

Various operational parameters are output to a four line by 20 character
LCD.  The data is also continuously dumped to a serial port.  Several
reassignable buttons can be used to change the operation in service.

This system would great job of running your lawn mower.  The GM
module will work fine with just one coil installed.  You could get to work on
the fuel injection and forget the ignition and controller development.

I have some ideas, developed over a considerable period of time, about
how an aircraft efi should work.  I really want to work on the injection
system but find myself short of time.

Would you want or appreciate more discussion?
What are your goals for the system your are developing?
What are your hardware and software skills?
What test facility do you have available?

I am an EE, '70 with too much to do.  I am good at prototypes and
machine work.  I have experimental catagory aircraft available for testing
and my friends are also pilots who have become sympathetic to testing
equipment.

I prefer 8031 type controllers.  My software is a set of assembler
modules tied together with compiled basic for the IO to the LCD and
serial port.  Ignition management takes up about 15 percent of the
controllers time at 3000 rpm.  The controller is running at 12E6 now.  It
could be pushed to 16 MHz easily.

John Carroll
307 674-8469
fax   674-4510

--UAA25219.812858672/wave.sheridan.wy.us--