RE>Platinum Plugs

genesis!mvarc!an.bradford.ma.us!adh genesis!mvarc!an.bradford.ma.us!adh
Thu Oct 5 02:46:10 GMT 1995

	From: jcook at apt.com (Jim Cook)

	I have not had a dirt bike in about 8 years. But at that time the
	motocross bikes came with platinum plugs. These had the very thin
	electode that has been discussed. I was suprised to hear  someone
	say  that  they had bad luck with them fouling more than standard
	plugs. As I understand it, they were used in dirt  bikes  because
	they  resist  oil  and  carbon  fouling  (two stroke). One of the
	reasons for this is supposed to be that there  is  less  parallel
	surface  between  electrodes  for  deposits  to accumulate or get
	lodged in. A second reason may also be that the harder  electrode
	tends  to  resist  wear  keep  a sharp edge for the spark to jump
	from. This may be more evident in a comparison on aging plugs.

platinum has the highest melting point of any element, so the
electrode can run hotter than ordinary plugs.