Fuel injection questions - -

Andre Roy ANDRE at EINSTEIN.UNIPISSING.CA
Thu Oct 5 14:01:46 GMT 1995

> From: Brad_Miller at So.Xerox.com
> Date: Wed, 4 Oct 1995 10:42:57 PDT
> To: DIY_EFI at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Fuel injection questions - -
>
> Does anyone know for sure how Chryslers are on injection setup?  Do
> they do a batch fire?  Is the setup called MPI or SPFI?   Multipoint
> vs. Sequential Point?  Could someone explain differences?  I think I've
> got the definitions nailed down - but I want to be sure . . . .

MPI ( Multi Port Injection) has one (or more) injector for each cylinder
    The injectors fire in unison. The disadvantage is that there can be
    a bit of fuel puddling (like on a carb) because air only flows while
    the intake valv is open. The rest of the (admittadly short) time, the
    air in the intake runner is not moving.

SPFI Sequential Point Fiel Injection (there are other acronyms, no doubt)
   Same as above, but the injector for a particular cylinder only fires
   when the intake valve is open (or just before) the rest of the time
   there is just stationary air with no fuel in the intake runner.
   Advantage, no fuel puddling. Disadvantage, slightly more complicated
   control strategies.

I'm pretty sure thats what the differences are.

Andre Roy
North Bay, Ontario