Fuel injection questions - -

atsakiri at ford.com atsakiri at ford.com
Thu Oct 5 20:22:56 GMT 1995

> >	Odd thought... with a SENSITIVE air pressure switch in the intake
> >	manifold, I wonder if it would be possible to detect the closing of
> >	the intake valve... i.e. for sequential timing WITHOUT using a camshaft
> >	sensor. Any comments?

What advantage would the MAP-based data have over the camshaft sensor-based
data?  I'd prefer the most direct measurement of the quantity of interest
(valve position in this case).  An air pressure measurement may include
many other effects.

If you are considering the deletion of the camshaft sensor in favor of
an existing MAP sensor, be aware that the MAP sensor has already been
replaced with a MAF sensor on many engines.  Also, even if there is an
existing MAP sensor, the signal processing associated with it may not be
up to the job.

I think a camshaft/crankshaft sensor is simpler and more direct.

---
Anthony Tsakiris
Powertrain Electronics
Ford Motor Company

The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily those of my employer.