Cylinder 1 detector (was: Re: The EFI332 I/O Board)

Zublin, Bryan (SD-MS) BZUBLIN at PO2.GI.COM
Thu Sep 7 19:34:32 GMT 1995

Bruce A. Bowling writes:

~ > What about the cam sensor for sequential EFI? My target is a SBC; have
~ > you come across anything for that purpose that might fit inside or
~ > replace the distributor?
~

>I was going to break off seven of the eight teeth on the reluctor
>currently in the Chevy distributor.  The distributor turns rather
>slowly, and there really is not much out-of-balance condition.
>Cost:  $0.00

This is a great idea for a direct ignition system (DIS) or "almost
distributorless" ignition.  Use an existing (modified) distributor for a
single cylinder detection (synchronization), and a pickup from the crank
(pulley) for the accurate timing.  Using an existing distributor is a lot
easier than trying to mount a pickup on the cylinder head near the cam (OHC
engines).  Note:  any mechanical advance mechanisms in the distributor
should be removed or permanently locked.

Bryan Zublin
bzublin at gi.com