Chrysler TBI vs. MPI

Brad_Miller at so.xerox.com Brad_Miller at so.xerox.com
Wed Sep 13 13:22:36 GMT 1995

Thanks for the info - I've talked with some of the Chrysler engineering
guru's and they said the stock TBI manifold (2.2/2.5) sucks.  That's
why Chrysler never released another computer, tweaking the spark/fuel
curves only resulted in a 3-5 hp difference, hardly worth the effort.
Now, when they decided to try the MPI (multipoint injection - basically
leaving off the turbo), they seen a 10++ hp difference.  The stock TBI
manifold is so shallow and constricted that it's choking the air way
down.  Even the stock 2.2 carb manifolds were really bad on flow rates,
as some cylinders would run lean and everything was turbulent in the runners.

So - here's what I'm looking at, using a Turbo II intake manifold (2
peice design with MPI) and just leaving off the turbo (for now).  That
will give me a tuned intake system.  To that I'll add a programmable
EFI setup --  probably the one from SDS (Simple Digital Systems). I'm
also considering going to the regular "carb/pre-swirl" head.  The
"swirl/lean-burn" head doesn't flow as well as just the older stock
heads.  If I could get the car to 130 hp before going to a turbo or
blower, I'd be pleased.

If anyone has any suggestions or comments, please let me know!!

Thanks!