Pin pushers

thomas walter x5955 apprvl-Clark Meier walter at roadster.sps.mot.com
Thu Sep 21 14:00:38 GMT 1995

Thanks for the feedback on the connectors.

ON the "pin pushers" I have used various paper clips,
home made extracters, etc. Also seen to LOOSE them
someplace. ;-(

In the autoparts store, Leslie(?) brand tools (red & white
packaging) sells an "automotive" pin pusher... about
six common "pin pushers" all connected to an hex piece
of green anodized aluminum. Cost about $10...

> If your'e in a bind, the larger
> weatherpack pins can be reused if a you carefully make a
> reliable soldered
> connection.

Quick comment on soldering "under the hood".  If a cable is fully
strain relieved, then soldering is OK... BUT, If the solder "wicks"
down the cable, it will make a stiff wire meet a flexible cable
(at the point where the solder stopped wicking). With vibration, and
time, the wire will break at that point.  (Use of a heat sink on
the wire prevents this problem.)

Favorite connectors: Molex brand crimp and "heat shrink" style.
The heat shrink has an internal melt glue, resulting in a weather
proof connection. (Usually a package of 10 cost $5.00 - OUCH!)

[Years back I used to run Pro-Rally cars, and build harnesses for
some of the teams (ugh!). Thankfully no DNF's from wiring problems...
only trees in the wrong places. ;-)

Sorry to be so wordy, but in looking over old messages I haven't
seen too much on the "wiring end" of the business.  Hopefully someone
will find this type of info usefull.

Cheers,

Tom Walter
Austin, TX.

P.S. For those around AUSTIN: I picked up some big bags of heat
shrink tubing (five year shelf life - expired 6/95). If you need
some, drop me an email.