Modifying O2 output

CICIORA STEVEN JOSEP ciciora at spot.Colorado.EDU
Wed Sep 27 21:46:41 GMT 1995

On Wed, 27 Sep 1995, Zublin, Bryan (SD-MS) wrote:

> It depends on the output impedance of the O2 sensor.  Try a 100K ohm load.
> If the voltage drops significantly, then I would go with an op amp with a
> high impedance input.  Personally, I would use the op amp always; this also
> allows you to easily add some lowpass filtering.
>
> Bryan Zublin
> bzublin at gi.com
>  ----------
  I think I remember reading somewhere (this list?  the hotrod list?)
that one way to get a little bit more liniarity out of an 02 sensor is to
apply (something like) 0.6 v to it and measure the current into or out of
it.  I also seem to remember seeing a circuit that will switch a load
resistor (or two) accross the output of the o2 sensor.  Since the output
impediance of the O2 sensor is dependent on temperature, mabe this was a
way to see if it was warmed up, or to measure exhaust temperature.  I
always thought that a ballpark way to measure exhaust temperature might
be to measure the current going to the heater (on heated O2 sensors, of
course).
  Anyway... if the above two situations are the case for you, than a
voltage divider wont work.  I know you said not to ask, but what are you
trying to do?  I've thought about what you mention, and I'm not sure you
can fool the computer into thinking that it is a little bit leaner than
it really is.  From what little bit of looking I've done at the output of
O2 sensors, it is usually much above .6 (.7?) volts (like 1 volt) or much
below (like .2 volts).  Almost like a switch.
  Hope I provided more insight than confusion!
-Steven ciciora