Hmm . . . suggestions on Chrysler fuel injection

Ed Lansinger elansi01 at mpg.gmpt.gmeds.com
Thu Sep 28 15:33:02 GMT 1995

Bradley Miller wrote:

>I've gotten some ideas from Chrysler engineer/racer on how to make a
>fuel injection setup for my car.
..
>Get a '88 one-peice intake manifold

I'd recommend the two-piece to make porting, etc. easier.

>Use wiring harness from '86 Shelby Charger (mine's an '83 Shelby
>Charger non-turbo)
>Use wiring harness overlay from Chrysler (?? part number  - - getting
>that info)
>Use 1986 Omni GLHS logic module
..
>Basically, this setup is just leaving the turbo out of the equation - -
>in it's place I'm going to biuld a 2.5L, Lunatic cam, Hooker header,
>10:1 compression motor.  Later on, I may want to go to turbo charging .
>the higher compression for more low end torque. (Probably back to 9-9.5:1)

The logic module would, I think, be worthless if you aren't going
to do a turbo setup.  Your off-boost airflow and timing will be totally
different with the cam, header, compression, and displacement changes.
You will most likely be better off with an aftermarket EFI system that
you can calibrate for your engine (or make your own!).

Forget the 9.5:1 compression w/turbo unless you are running Turbo Blue or
methanol *all* the time.

>System will have a 46mm TBI with appropriate TPS and AIS

Use the 52mm throttle body from the 3.0l minivan.  Use that minivan's
injectors, too (20% more flow, assuming your airflow increases by
that much, too).

>Any suggestions?  He said he'd give me the logic module, and the rest
>of the stuff shouldn't be over $200 from the boneyard.

I don't know what you are looking for - asphalt-munching torque or
racetrack-dominating power.

I don't think there's enough meat in the cylinder walls to punch the
block out to 2.5l.  If you're set on larger displacement, you might
want to start with a 2.5l motor rather than your 2.2.

An interesting idea would be to use the 2.5l turbo motor as your
starting point.  You might want to remove the balance shafts to
reduce inertia.

My overall recommendation would be to stick with the Stage I-II-III-...
modifications described in the Mopar Performance catalog.  These
are the result of a lot of good engineering and testing and will save
you much $$$ in the long run and many headaches.

Your best bet for extreme performance starting with a 2.2 (turbo) is
the MP Super 60 kit.  I understand this will take an L-body down into
the 12's.  Either that or be the first to stuff in a 16V turbo motor...

I don't know who your contact is at Chrysler, but it should be Rich
Zelkowski if you decide to go the turbo route.  Regardless of whether
you go turbo or non-turbo, the guys at Lambros Race Engineering
[(314)725-7181] specialize in L-body/2.2l performance mods and generally
know what they're talking about.  They are typically more than
willing to shoot the breeze and discuss your ideas.

If you are thinking about dropping in, say, the 2.2l intercooled turbo
into your L-body I have a contact that can give you a lot of advice.

Ed Lansinger
'86 Dodge Omni GLH Turbo
Bored, Blueprinted, Balanced, HP computer, etc.