injector sizing

J.W. Harris jwharris at holli.com
Sat Sep 30 15:00:54 GMT 1995

>On Thu, 28 Sep 1995 mwc at lubrizol.com wrote>
>
>> Before I add a hot cam, can I oversize my injectors without
>> any negative effects?  I think stock is 19 lb/hr, and I'd like
>> 25 - 30 lb/hr.  I would think that open-loop mode would run
>> too rich; if I'm right, can it be adjusted on L-Jet?
>
>Why bother? If you change them the computer will lean the fuelling out on
>part throttle (closed loop) and you will be too rich on open loop so you
>are going to lean it out mechanically. Leave it like it is and take
>Bruces suggestion of an increase in fuel pressure. There is enough fuel
>for approximately 15% more power than the stock engine can supply with
>the stock injectors
>
>Peter Wales
>President Superchips

Of course, increasing the fuel pressure will have the same effect.  Its safe
to say that other than removing stupid things like rev limiters, etc. making
mods to the stock controller without mechanical changes is pointless.  The
OEMs spend a lot of time tuing for optimum power and emissions.  Increasing
fuel flow without making any other engine changes to inrease airflow will
probably have little if any affect.  Start out with a set of headers, a good
exhaust and induction system you will probably be able to increase fuel
pressuer enough to get you back to the "zero" baseline.
J.W. Harris                                          Delco Electronics Corp.
Project Engineer                                     One Corporate Center
Powertrain Electronics                               M.S. CT40C
                                                     Kokomo, IN 46904-9005
jwharris at kocrsv01.delcoelect.com

Of course, all responses are my own and should not be mistaken for those of
Delco Electronics or General Motors.