Independent cylinder knock control

Frank F Parker fparker at umich.edu
Mon Apr 1 04:01:29 GMT 1996

> Would like to know more about these meters. Worse comes to worse I'll
> purchase a set of LEDS and a an IC to drive them. As for mounting it to the
> lower engine - this is a 5.0 Ford - no "stock" mounting boss exists.. I've
> got a 351W n the stand - I'll examine it and look for likely spots but I'm
> betting there won't be an easy one. Duttweiler told me to use the back of
> the head and provided a block of threaded aluminum to assist me in bolting
> it up, I used the front of the head on an accessory stud. I'm not running
> much advance and it does retard - pulling it off allows knock - rock and a
> hard place I guess. This is why I want to monitor it - to try and get an
> idea as to how much false knock it's getting. DFI provides no adjustment to
> the sensitivity and no way to monitor it save through a laptop. I'm tempted
> to buy one of the "boxes" available to monitor it but they're not cheap and
> I'm fairly certain their simple inside...

I do not know the Ford block, but get the sensor off the head. It will
never work correctly up there. I would think you could find some place
you could tap on lower block. The meters are available from ANS for $90
@ 708-450-1095, I assume including a gm sensor but i have no direct
knowledge of their meter. I am pretty sure the GM sensor is high impedance
and has a output in the volt range. Do not know if ANS meter uses any sort
of bandpass filter in 5-8 KHz range to filter signal before using , I
assume, either a op amp or diode before running to meter.
Could also get whole gm system from junk yard and use output from gm
knock box to a meter of some sort.
If you are using current sensor with DFI, could build a op amp as hi Z
buffer and then run to homebuilt meter.

Frank Parker