4.3 multi-port fuel injection

Donald Whisnant dewhisna at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 2 00:42:52 GMT 1996

Ryan Harrell wrote:

>As the original poster of this 4.3 discussion, I'd like to know if anybody
>has some information on Vortec's supercharger they are designing for the V6
>engine.  I called Fuel Injection Specialities, whose name I found in a
>magazine, for info.  They stated that Vortech would have a sequential
>central-port injection supercharger in a couple of months.
>
>Also, FI Specialties priced the SCPI kit at $1895 and I was wondering if
>anybody knew of a cheaper price anywhere else.  I'd like to ask Mr. Spears
>how hard would it be to adapt a centrifugal supercharger not designed for
>SCPI to it.  The reason for this is because ATI Technologies makes an
>extremely powerful superchager that I'd like to use.  Also, I plan to
>racing heads, roller cam, bore out the engine, and just about any other idea
>I can find to produce more horsepower (my goal for this engine is around
>500-600HP on a $6000 budget) However, I know little about programming EPROMs,
>and have no idea on what equipment or software is required for reprogramming
>(although I am willing to learn). If you can recommend a book or other
>instrucion tool to help me I'd be appreciative.
>
>Finally, is there any R&D going on for a true port injected 4.3L V6?
>
>I GREATLY APPRECIATE all the help I've gotten from this mailing-list

I've just recently finished installing a '94 4.3 CMFI V6 into my '85 Grand
Prix -- And (even though it was a headache and a half to put in -- mainly
because the engine came out of a van instead of a truck) I've been very
well pleased with its power and performance in sort of a "stock" condition.
I also put on one of those 4L60E trannies too -- and with the way it is
presently geared (2.41 -- as designed for a non-od tranny) it will do 80-85
taching only 2000!!!

As for mods, I too would be interested in info on superchargers -- though
my question would be: How much height if any will it add to the intake??  I'm
already about maxed out on the Grand Prix -- any more and I'll have to add
a hood scoop....  ... So Ryan, let me know what you find out...

As for true port injection, I just bought another intake for the engine (I
paid $150 for the complete intake upper/lower halves, and all of the sensors
incl. map, tps, tuning valve, etc. -- a heck of a good deal when compared
with what the dealer wants for one!!!) ...  I plan to do some experimenting
with true port injection -- I plan to buy six injectors and do some machining
on the intake and see what I can't accomplish ...  I would also like to
add distribitorless ignition to it too --- I've thaught about using the
sensors and general hardware from a 3800 for that, but don't know yet what
problems I will get into...

Also, as for the eprom code, I'm in the process of completely disassembling
the entire eprom from the computer that came with my engine ...  After
figuring out exactly what processor they used, I wrote a code-seeking
disassembler and am now wading through piles of source code trying to
decipher all of the code and lookup tables (300+ pages!). ...  If anyone out
there has any hints, ideas, suggestions, port number pinouts, etc, let me
know...

Donald Whisnant
dewhisna at ix.netcom.com