Vortech on 4.3 SCPI

john spears speartec at iquest.net
Wed Apr 3 02:17:33 GMT 1996

Ryan,

I haven't been on here for a while do to workload, but this is in response
to your post of a few days ago. I honestly haven't done any performance work
on the 4.3. Mainly just custom wiring harnesses for engine projects. I make
wiring harnesses for new engines and get them up and running for a local
engine   components manufacturer that uses 30 engines for their component
testing. I also do alot of TPI and LT1 conversions on cars. IMO, I don't
think it would be too difficult to adapt the Vortech to the 4.3, since it's
very similar to the V8 it was made from. It seems to be a very popular
modification on Z28's, etc. these days. As far as EPROM programming goes,
when adding a blower or a turbo to an application that didn't originally
have it, it's much easier to add some additional controllers i.e., BTM
(boost timing module) and FMU (fuel management unit), then to completely
remap a stock EPROM to account for a pressurized intake system. These add-on
units are programmable for timing retard vs. boost and additional fuel vs.
boost, and usually add 2 or 3 extra injectors to the system. The price of
$1895 doesn't sound to bad depending on the completeness of the kit. I know
of no work going on for a true port injected 4.3L V6 at this time. The only
one was the Syclone/Typhoon from a few years back. The GM truck guys seem to
have some strange ideas on what they choose for powerplants. I don't know
why they didn't just drop the LT1 in the 96 trucks instead of these odd SCPI
Vortec V8's.
Good luck!

                 John Spears
       Speartech Fuel Injection Systems