Switching from carb to FI on a Ford (fwd)

gtk110 at psu.edu gtk110 at psu.edu
Wed Apr 3 17:29:51 GMT 1996

>Not to start a flame war, but the V-8 to get for towing is the 351...I
>believe that the I-6 has a higher torque rating (at a lower RPM even)
>than the 302.  The I-6 is a real stump puller.  If I wanted to, I could
>drive around town all day with only 3rd through 5th.  The problem with
>the 302 is that it has such a short stroke compared to the 300 (4+ inches
>for the 6 compared to 3 inches for the 8)  That's my $.02.

If you're going to pull the engine from the yunkyard anyway, I have 2 words:
        REPLACE CAM

The 351 does have a longer rod enabling better torque but you'd bet screwed
if you ever wanted more BOLT ON power from the 351....There is just soooo
much more bolt-on's available for the 5.0L EFI--intakes (about 7 the last
time I counted) for example) that would allow further customizing of the
torque curve....cams, underdrive pullies, you name it...just my $0.03...

I can drive around all day with 2nd and 5th and like you say...
        "Knowledge is power, but cubic inches help"....try to live by it if you
                say it!

          "Gripping the wheel, his knuckles went white with desire...the wheels
           of his Mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45...
           True death... 400 horsepower, maximum performance piercing the
           night...
           This is BLACK SUNSHINE!"