ATI Supercharging

Darrell Norquay dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
Thu Apr 4 04:18:12 GMT 1996

Doug Gubbins wrote:

> I am considering replacing the MSD spark retarder with a knock sensor
> package that also contains an LED oxygen-sensor monitor. But it isn't cheap.

Sure it is...  At least the oxygen sensor monitor part.  If you're at all
capable with electronics, you can build a monitor for about 20$ and a couple
of hours.  Use a National Semiconductor LM3914 and a handful of LED's.
Gives you a 10 dot readout and requires only a handful of readily available
parts.  The graphic readout is much more readable than squinting at a
voltmeter while you're trying to drive, and you can add a little filtering
to smooth out the fluctuations.  I don't know too much about the spark
retarder, but I've heard the MSD unit isn't that great.

> Can one of you engineers enlighten me a bit and maybe prevent my throwing
> money away on a solution that might not be fixing the basic problem? Or how
> to tell conclusively what's going on here?

Sorry, can't help you much with your catcon problem, but it seems to me that
running too rich would burn the thing up in short order.  I don't think
that running lean would cause it to burn out, since there wouldn't be enough
fuel to combust inside the converter, which after all is it's purpose.
You didn't mention how many miles were on the converter, if it was a few
years old it's possible it just died a natural death...

Regards
dn

 Darrell A. Norquay              Internet: dn at dlogtech.cuc.ab.ca
 Datalog Technology Inc.         Voice: (403) 243-2220
 Calgary, Alberta, Canada        Fax:   (403) 243-2872

       "Absolutum Obsoletum" - If it works, it's obsolete