HEI dizzy

dzorde at aesprodata.com.au dzorde at aesprodata.com.au
Thu Apr 11 06:40:55 GMT 1996

     Hey everybody,

     Hopefully there are a few out there that know about the early Chev HEI
     distributers with the built in coil.  Basically I am after some sort
     of an idea what the tacho output waveform should look like, since I'm
     not sure if the module in my dizzy is OK.  It is a 4-pin module.  The
     waveform I get goes to about 45V for the 1st 1/3 of the pulse, it then
     drops to about 15V for the remaining of the pulse.

     45V        |-            |-
                | |           | |
                | |           | |
                | |           | |
                | |           | |
     15V        | ------      | ------
                |       |     |       |

     Obviously the pulse is not quite as square as above, but I am
     wondering if this seems correct, because it seems to drive the tacho
     in the computer crazy and the car seems to idle roughly while
     misfiring above 1500rpm.

     Also what is a good size spark plug gap to use with these, I have read
     anything from 0.028" - 0.075", I'm using a 0.04" gap with a 350Chev.

     Hope someone can help

     Dan        dzorde at aesprodata.com.au