Outboard Motor Coils

George M. Dailey gmd at tecinfo.com
Fri Apr 12 00:37:33 GMT 1996

At 10:26 AM 4/11/96 -0400, you wrote:
>While reading several recent threads regarding distributorless ignition
>systems, I began wondering if anyone has looked into the applicability of
>marine -- specifically, outboard motor -- ignitions for automotive use.
>
>I have a high-performance V6 two-stroke outboard on my boat that easily
>spins 6,500 rpm -- I've gone as high as 7,500.  That's equivalent to 15,000
>in a four stroke (without waste spark, of course).  Each cylinder gets its
>own small coil.  This engine displaces 2.4 liters and is rated at about 300
>HP.

Question 1:  Would these coils (and, possibly, their electronic controller)
>have applicability in an automotive application?

>This engine also uses unusual spark plugs.  There are no conventional
>electrodes.  Looking end-on to the plug, it looks like an archery target --
>three annular rings.  The center ring is the center electrode, the second
>ring is the insulator, and the third ring is the outer electrode (case).
>Viewed from the side, the plug is flat across, with the insulating ring
>slightly recessed.  The spark occurs at any point across the faces of the
>center and outer rings.  These plugs last a long time, and, of course, there
>is no gap to adjust.
>
>Question 2:  Has anyone used plugs like this, and to they have applicability
>in an automotive application?
>
>I can provide make and model info if there is any interest.
>

>Regards,
>
>John

John, let me give my two cents worth on this.

Question 1:  Would these coils (and, possibly, their electronic controller)
>have applicability in an automotive application?

Technically speaking, I can see no reason why the coils will not work.
Consider this:
If they can fire through 50:1 gas/oil ratio, a 4 stroker shouldn't be a
problem. Since they are marine components by design, the automotive
enviornment should be easy. I can see many problems trying to use the
controllers (possible built in timeing and dwell changes for one). Keep in
mind that using stock automotive coils (one /cylinder) should also work. If
they can fire 8 times / 2 revs, then once per 2 revs should be childs play.

>Question 2:  Has anyone used plugs like this, and to they have applicability
>in an automotive application?

Been there, tried to do that. What I found out is that the 'marine' plugs
are not offered in heat ranges that most autos use.  This was 3 years ago,
they may be at Wallmart now. I agree with your thinking!

Give it a try!

GMD