Outboard Motor Coils

John G. Napoli jgn at li.net
Fri Apr 12 13:44:14 GMT 1996

At 07:35 PM 4/11/96 -0500, diy_efi at coulomb.eng.ohio-state.edu wrote:

>John, let me give my two cents worth on this.
>
>Question 1:  Would these coils (and, possibly, their electronic controller)
>>have applicability in an automotive application?
>
>Technically speaking, I can see no reason why the coils will not work.
>Consider this:
>If they can fire through 50:1 gas/oil ratio, a 4 stroker shouldn't be a
>problem.

It's worse than that!  This motor calls for a 25:1 ratio, and I usually run
it at closer to 20:1.

>Since they are marine components by design, the automotive
>enviornment should be easy. I can see many problems trying to use the
>controllers (possible built in timeing and dwell changes for one).

Wasn't really thinking about the marine controller.  Wow -- 2 cycle, 6
cylinder -- did I just find the new ignition for my 12 cylinder Jag?
Seriously, I have no idea how the controller is calibrated.

>Keep in mind that using stock automotive coils (one /cylinder) should also
work. If
>they can fire 8 times / 2 revs, then once per 2 revs should be childs play.
>
>>Question 2:  Has anyone used plugs like this, and to they have applicability
>>in an automotive application?
>
>Been there, tried to do that. What I found out is that the 'marine' plugs
>are not offered in heat ranges that most autos use.  This was 3 years ago,
>they may be at Wallmart now. I agree with your thinking!

I assume they were too cold?

Regards,

John